Wondering how to design or make a website? What skills do you need in order to create a good website for the audiences online to view?
You are now reading the right post as we will further explain how you can create a website. This tutorial applies to everyone, it doesn’t matter even if you’re a beginner, as long as you are able to understand the practical skills in creating a website, then your website will be presented the way you wanted it to be.
Have you ever created a blog for fun? Remember when there was this one time where blogging among the youngsters, especially teenagers actually became a trend? That was when we ended up learning the basic HTML codes on our own and suddenly we felt like we were an expert; those were actually good times and it was a great exposure on the creation of a website.
In the digital age of technology today and how the use of the internet has evolved, many businesses and organisations set up a website to represent their brands. The blogging platform that was popular back then was Blogspot, but today WordPress is widely used among many businesses as it is more user-friendly and easier to use.
There are numerous other online platforms where you can create a website. You can simply search for them online and see which platform you prefer the most.
- Why do most people use WordPress?
- Is creating a website difficult?
- Why you should learn on your own?
- 4 Simple steps in creating a website for beginners
Why do most people use WordPress?
A recent research data stated that 52% of websites use WordPress as their platform. Unlike other website building platforms, WordPress is completely free and you can easily create your own site without paying any cent. Below are other reasons why people opt for WordPress better than other platforms:
1.You don’t have to learn to code that much
WordPress already sets everything up for the users. The website designs and layout are all one click away; you don’t have to key in all the code from scratch.
Being a user-friendly platform makes the steps easier. It only requires you to go to the relevant tab, click and start doing the processes you have to do.
3.Best platform for beginners
Forget about the difficulties you might be facing because, with WordPress, you can learn how to create a website without guidance. It’s not as simple as 123 but if you are savvy enough when it comes to learning technical skills, it will not be hard for you to fully understand how WordPress works.
Is creating a website difficult?
You don’t necessarily have to have a background in programming or design in order to build a website unless you want to create an original template and layout from scratch.
But today we have been blessed with website building platforms where you can easily create the website without even focusing too much on the coding. Sounds fun? It is! There is not much of a challenge you have to think of.
Why you should learn on your own?
i. Cheaper option
Instead of hiring expensive website builders, it is more convenient if you can learn how to do the basic steps on how to design a website. Also worth to mention that website builder/developer is expensive. Save your budget and start learning how to create a website on your own today!
ii. A path for newer skills
It will be easier for you to manage your own site as you know all the details and technicalities. It will be a valuable knowledge for you to learn because the skills of creating a website can be applied anywhere, be it for your own company or business you’re working with.
4 Simple steps in creating a website for beginners
This comprehensive WordPress tutorial takes four steps and you need to follow each step to create your own website. After you’ve decided which website building platform to use, you may start by referring to the steps below:
STEP 1: GET A DOMAIN NAME AND WEB HOSTING
To build a website, you will need two important things which are:
- Domain Name (a customised web address, eg: YourSiteName.com)
- Web Hosting (a service that connects your site to the internet)
Why do I need a domain name?
Domain name is needed to represent your brand, company or organisation. Using a free domain typically includes the name of the website building platform you’re using (eg: YourSiteName.wordpress.com). For a more professional outlook, it is best to use your own domain (eg: YourSiteName.com). You can find hosting providers offer domains free for one year, after that, you will be charged a reasonable amount which will cost around $15 per year.
Why do I need web hosting?
When you upload images or other files to your site, you will need a hosting where you can store the images and files you are going to put on your site. If you do not have web hosting, your website will be visible on the internet for the public to view.
STEP 2: SET UP YOUR WEBSITE
Once you have already completed the first step, it’s time to set up your website accordingly.
If you are using a web hosting other than WordPress, you will still need to install WordPress to the hosting. It is easy as it does not require much process for you to have the WordPress installed.
Most hosting companies usually provide integrated 1-click-installation for WordPress, which makes it super convenient for you.
If the hosting you are using does not have 1-click-installation, the only choice left is to install WordPress manually. You can follow the steps below:
- Download WordPress here
- Create a new folder on your desktop or laptop and unzip WordPress in it
- Look for a file named wp-config-sample.php and rename it to wp-config.php
- Open the wp-config.php (with notepad) and fill the following lines:
- define(‘DB_NAME’, ‘database_name_here’); – Database name (if you don’t know it, ask this from your hosting support)
- define(‘DB_USER’, ‘username_here’); – Your hosting username
- define(‘DB_PASSWORD’, ‘password_here’); – Your hosting password
After you are done filling the gaps, save the file.
5. Now log into your hosting FTP (download FileZilla for that). The FTP address is usually ftp.yourdomain.com, username and password are the same that you used to register to your host domain.
6. If there is any file named “index”, you can delete it. After that upload all the files from your WordPress folder to your FTP server.
7. Once you have completed the previous steps, go the URL: yourdomain.com/wp-admin/install.php
After that, you will see a page with a form for you to fill in.
STEP 3: DESIGN YOUR WEBSITE
Once you have got everything settled, you will see a basic and clean website. This is where your creativity in designs should be used.
Choose a theme
You can select and choose your own design template to website. Even WordPress has different design templates as a part of your options. You can also customise your own website design, but if you have a basic HTML code knowledge, it will be easier for you to design your site.
How to choose a theme you like for the website
- Login into your WordPress dashboard. If you’re not sure how to type in: https://yoursite.com/wp-admin (just replace “yoursite” with your domain).
- Be prepared to use your platform as “Access free theme”
- Install the new theme
When you have finished doing the steps, you will need to activate the website.
Another thing to note is that: Changing themes will not delete your existing posts on the site. You can change your theme multiple times, so you don’t have to worry about missing posts, pages and content.
STEP 4: ADD CONTENT TO THE WEBSITE
This is probably the last awaited step. With your theme installed, you are ready to start developing content on the site. These are some of the common things you can do once your website is ready:
- Adding and editing pages
- Adding pages to the menu
- Adding and editing posts
- Customisation and more edits:
- Changing the post’s title and tagline
- Disabling comments for posts and pages
- Setting up a static front page
- Editing sidebars
5. Installing plugins- “Plugins” are extensions that are built to expand WordPress’ capabilities, adding in more features and functions to your site. They’re shortcuts to getting your site to do what you want to, without having to develop the features from scratch.
Congratulations! Now that you have completed the four simple steps, you can start launching your website. It takes time to get used to everything, especially when you’re not used to it.
Practice makes perfect! Everyone has their own baby steps. Keep checking out your website and find ways on how you can improve your website for others to see.